All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Radical Love

I recently had a discussion about priesthood, and the call and answer which are included under that topic.

Part of the conversation included deliberating about the necessity of sacrificing one's ability to have a family to serve the Church in this way - namely, celibacy.

My opinion is a simple one. 

First, we need passion. Second, we need sacrifice. Third, we need radicalness.

As far as I have experienced in this life, we cannot live with ourselves and our lives unless we find that we are being fulfilled. That journey, whether spiritual, material, physical, marital, etc... is one embarked on by everyone in some form. 

In this certain area, I find it unaccountable to think that anyone would want to dedicate and focus their entire life without it being something that has great stakes. Why would I want to be something mediocre, when I can be a hero? Why would I want to be Claudius when I could be Maximus? It simply stands that greater sacrifice, risk, commitment, etc... leaves us feeling more fulfilled, proud, strong and prepared for life.

I would think of it this way - I would never consider marrying someone who wanted to be able to date on the side so that they did not have to completely commit their life to me. Most people, I believe, would agree with that. Therefore, why is it arguable to say that we would accept a priesthood that could, when desirous, date other people, or marry, or have a family?

There is no fairness there to the Church as a whole, who as the Body of Christ deserve a shepherd who is seeking to be completely like the Head of the Body, who is Christ the Lord. Likewise there is no justice for a family who is asked to share their head of the family with a much larger community, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

I don't really consider it a point of contention, when thought through logically. Simply put, any life long choice should be considered a radical one. Anything that will affect your entire lifestyle, future, hopes, dreams, formation, etc... should be taken seriously and be something that you can look back on at any time and feel proud of and at peace with. Therefore, it stands that as a radical choice involving your heart and soul, it should be made with radical love. A radical love that is met in equality with a radical sacrifice, radical commitment, radical passion. 

That is what I would want for myself, and likewise for anyone making a choice to live for the Lord. 

1 comment:

Pure Fashion National Director said...

Thank you for referring to Pure Fashion and promoting the message of purity!
God bless you!

Brenda Sharman
Pure Fashion National Director
brendasharman@purefashion.com