All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Really? We need to think about what this means!

This article is found in The Washington Times, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/14/criminal-prayer-case-stirs-protests/?feat=article_top10_read.

Within the article we hear that two teachers from a public school in Florida are going on trial for "their offer of a mealtime prayer."

The attorney, Mathew Staver, is quoted as saying, "I have been defending religious freedom issues for 22 years, and I've never had to defend somebody who has been charged criminally for praying."

The student class president, Mary Allen, was actually kept from speaking at graduation because she was a "known Christian."

This is ridiculous. Perhaps we should expect the ACLU to also sue the state for the county this school is located in being named "Santa Rosa," since that is "Saint Rose" in Spanish and clearly that is infringing on personal rights to not be exposed to Christian anything.

I was living in Long Island for the past year and there is a high volume of Jewish families near my old house. I would run by the Synagogue often and wave "hello" to the Rabbi and the many people going to pray. Was I wrong to respect their religion and religious beliefs? Should I rather have been put out that I couldn't always run on the side walk (public property) because part of their beliefs includes not driving on the Sabbath and therefore walking to Synagogue?! Really?

Read it for yourself and think about it. There is certainly more than one side to this issue, but it really means something. How far has our country come from where we once were? I still think it is somewhat ludicrous that so many of our ancestors migrated to this country specifically for the sake of religious freedom, and now we have "fake" religous freedom... one where everyone is so free that no one is free. We can't express for fear of upsetting or offending the next person over! Maybe I'd like to know more about your religion. Maybe I need some truth and answers to questions. Maybe young children would not grow up with so much pain and confusion if they were given morality, virtue, and standards of what is right and wrong from an early age instead of being told that it's all ambiguous and relative. In case anyone can remember how it feels when you're a teenager, every day is a new experience of highs and lows and stresses and fears. How are you supposed to know what is good when you can't figure out how you feel about yourself or other things? And then we look at the problems that come from such a relativisic (and essentially lazy) attitude and we say "what's wrong?" and "why are they like this?"

Anyway, my rant is over but I think the article earns reflection. One day I may be numbered among the parents sending their little ones off to school. I plan on working for that place of education to be the best that my taxes can pay for, the best that this wealthy and educated nation can offer, and the best that my child deserves.

No comments: