All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Scream




Anyone who knows me knows that one of my weaknesses is Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I have often joked that Ben and Jerry were my dates on countless evenings in. They are sometimes the best of dates at the time, but like so many other men, have a tendency to turn up later in the most unwelcome of places.

I am breaking up with Ben and Jerry.

Ben and Jerry announced yesterday that they will be renaming my favorite flavor, Chubby Hubby, to "Hubby Hubby" in celebration of the legalization of gay marriage in Vermont.

Before I mount my conservative soapbox, allow me to make one thing clear: I do not in any way hate gays. I have some friends who are gay, and I love them just as much as I do anyone else. All people are made in the image and likeness of God, and deserve respect and love.

OK, now onto the soapbox.

Anything that breaks down the family structure mustn't be glamorized. Why am I against gay marriage? Because it is the government telling the people that something unnatural is OK and encouraged. Many people unfortunately use the legal system as a moral code. If the law says that I can abort my child, then it must be OK. If the law says that two men can marry and enjoy the same legal rights as a man and woman, then I see nothing wrong with it. NO! When we allow two people of the same sex to marry, we are teaching our children that there aren't standards. In the end it will create a broken society.

For now, Häagen Dazs will have to do. I will miss you, Ben and Jerry. Perhaps I will see you on Free Ice Cream Day.

No comments: