All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Poetic Last Days

I have decided that the last day of the month should be a day for poetry. We'll see if I remember this decision in 30 days from now, but at least for today I will give it a go.

It's cheating but this was a "children's book" that I wrote some time ago, which is just a poem without the pictures. It's kind of fun, so here you go:

On a cold winter day
Not so very far away

The kind that make your bones ache

There came a breeze
That smelled of cheese

And whiskers, not far away

Naddie the Cat
Who was a bit fat

Curled up near the fireplace warm

But the breezes of cheeses
Brought her dreams of meeses

And suddenly up she sat

I know that smell
She thought to herself

And blinking she looked to the ground

Little footprints she saw
From some little mice paws

So a yawn and a stretch and she pounced

But nothing was there
Left in the air

Just the miniture trail to see

Naddie sniffed and meowed
But could not see what she smelled

And decided this was not fair

Like a good little kitten
She put on a mitten

And to the mice home she went

She knocked at their hole
With her claws covered whole

With the promise no one would be bitten

The mice were afraid
Of this large fluffy grey

And out they refused to come

Naddie begged and she pleaded
But a moment she needed

And she promised she would not stay

One small toe peeped out
Chip, brave and stout

Extended his head just an inch

Hello? Was all he said
And then ducked down his head

Scared that he'd entered a bout

But Naddie laid flat
(on her stomach, not back)

And spoke in a gentle voice

Little mice I smelled cheese
And here is the thing

I have never tasted that!

Well the mice were shocked
To think such a thought

That any had never had cheese

They laughed and they giggled
And started to wiggle

As certainly mice ought

Naddie patiently waited
Till quietly she stated

Her one and only request

Dear mice friends, all I ask
Is just one little task

Please, oh please may I have just a crumb?

I will always be kind
And never you mind

This promise will always last

No mice will I eat
Only dairy and cheese

For the rest of my time

Moments went by
Then a joyful mouse-cry

And out came a sliver of cheese

Naddie jumped and she cheered
And all the mice drew near

And she nearly started to cry

Naddie tasted that cheese
On that cold winter's eve

And forever she loved it since

People still stop and stare
For snuggled in there

What do their eyes perceive?

Nothing at all
But curled in a ball

A cat and five tiny mice
The End
I'll leave you with that for now... though I feel more shall come soon enough.

No comments: