All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Reflection of the Year


Ok, I'm 24.

Let's talk about some of the funny/weird things of the past year...
1. I have sunburned hands and feet... thank you antibiotic that makes me burn.
2. I went to haiti and found a giant spider, sang "hey soul sister" a million times, bathed in a river every day, became far more tan than I've been since I was in high school and actually had time for laying out, prayed with haitians, tried to learn creole, had paint wars with friends, heard some of the most ridiculous conversations of my life, smiled all the time, saw the "old spice commercial" come to life when my friend was on a horse, and rode horses mostly bareback, ending with a large and unfortunate blister somewhere rather painful...
3. How 'bout, I went to Haiti. And I'm going back. In December.
4. I have an infection from being in Haiti that has been akin to leprosy, just peeling layers of skin over and over again. This is why I have the sun-burning antibiotic.
5. I saw Celtic Woman in concert. I laughed and cried. It was beautiful.
6. One of my best friends is getting married in October.
7. Three close friends up and quit their jobs and made life changes. I'm proud of them! It takes courage to trust and be faithful to your heart, and if you aren't in a good situation, then get out.
8. My sister came to live with me for 7 weeks! I love her. It is wonderful.
9. My dad wrote me a letter that made me cry. I love him so much. He is my hero.
10. My mom and I are much closer than we've been in a long time. I am so thankful for that!
11. I finished a year of grad school, one more to go starting this fall. My classes are amazing, and definitely challenging. I love reading. I love writing. I wish they'd give me A's but oh well... at least I'm realizing that "professional student" is probably my best job option.. if there was such a thing! :)
12. I continue to learn more about why I am so much a girl and yet so anti-girly.
13. Up with how much I dislike inconsistency is how much I dislike cliche. I also deeply dislike hypocrisy, duplicity and dishonesty. That being said, I have to always work on not being caught in those myself. It's always the things we see in others that bug us most that are usually what we ourselves are most tempted to. Moreover, I dislike attitudes that dislike things in general... why?! Why not be grateful. You have no choice, you know, in living. I mean, you either give up and die, or you live. Black and white as far as it goes. So if you are going to be alive, you really might as well appreciate things, and try to see the good, rather than be in a constant state of desparity and despondency, or anger and resentment. If you're in that state because of actual depression, please seek help! And if you're not sure what to do, start with claiming things. Give them less power over you. Tell those feelings to bug off. You are in charge of yourself, I promise. (Ever see the Labyrinth? I'm sure they weren't going for analogy there, but really, the little girl learning to claim "you have no power over me" is a decisive point. That's an important lesson for people who feel like their world is out of their control.) Anyway, this was a huge tangent...
14. I was in New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Indiana, Washington DC, New Jersey, Delaware, Colorado and Ohio so far this year. Internationally I was in Austria (Gaming and Vienna) in the fall and Haiti in May.
15. I've been kayaking probably three times since it's been warm this spring/summer? I love it.
16. Went hiking in Shenandoah National Park! Did not see any bears...
17. I'm redeading Lord of the Rings... I have forgotten how absolutely beautiful these stories are! They are amazing parallels for many life lessons, and I keep drawing strength from my figurative solidarity with the characters as they face so many challenges with determination and faithfulness.
18. I am beginning to realize I love many things. Sometimes this is wonderful, and sometimes it makes me crazy. But it is intrinsic, imperative, innate and all together necessary to my person.
19. I read a book called "The Portal of the Mystery of Hope" by Charels Peguy, and I loved it. It changed me.
20. I have discovered that I love von Balthasar and Ratzinger as much as any theologians I've ever read. Possibly as my favorites.
21. Nothing is ever going to be a good bottle of water.
22. Summers in Virginia are definitely more intense than in Ohio. I love it. I'm also grateful that all the "we-never-get-snow-sayers" were incorrect the winter I moved here. Thank you snowpocalypse!
23. I plan on learning the piano and German this summer. I also have a book list that I will never finish... Let's hope I actually do some of it!
24. I have made some new friends this year, and I am so thankful. They are excellent people.
25. Rereading the Book of Job (Scripture) is great. Painful, but so beautiful.
26. A day without mass or adoration is... really empty. That is a grace! The Lord draws us closer when we ask, and I want to keep on asking :)
27. Life is good. We should never doubt that.
28. I lost my high-heel shoe while jay-walking across a four-lane busy street in DC... the result was me picking up my shoe and running across the street in a skirt ... into a snow bank.. (thank you snowpocalypse) and nearly dying. Did I clean off my dirty foot in the snow? Of course I did.
29. I've been converted (a little) to gmail.. I like that conversations can be seen piled one-on-top-of-the-other... much easier to read.
30. My family is amazing. I love them. My sibilings are hysterical, and we all get along so well (most of the time). I miss them always.

Ok, I know there are plenty of other things that have gone on but 30 seems like plenty of memories... in fact, I probably should have stopped at 24! Oh well. :)

Thank you God for the gift of LIFE, and we pray for all those who may be denied that gift, and for those struggling to realize that gift.

1 comment:

Britt said...

There were bears. We just didn't see them. I'm thankful we're alive. It was a close one.