All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Father, forgive them.

Yo peeps.
What can I tell you? If I had time to write the million things running through my head right now you would not have the time to read them all, that is for sure.
Do you know the feeling of your mind blowing up (thus making that convenient black hole we've all been told about) and everything being sucked up in a vacuum that then just deposits it all back where it started?
One day it will fall more neatly into place. For now, this is what I can grasp.

We have a very short time to learn how to love.

Love is not what we think it is.

We are no longer taught how to be humble. Therefore, only in those beautiful souls who seems to have been given such graces will we be able to see this humility brought to life. When we do see it, we must love it. We must want to imitate it with all that we are. We must pray for this grace.
Innocence is far from being something laughable. No, innocence is inexorably bound in purity. And purity goes nowhere without her sister, humility.
And these are the family members that strive to build true love in the heart of man.

We do not even understand what humility is!

Oh, it is a disposition of thinking less of yourself than of others. But it is far more, far deeper than that. No one can help those thoughts that spring into your head of their own accord that demand that you laugh at what someone is wearing or doubt the sanity of another human being or perhaps wonder if they've ever heard of soap, etc... Humility must be a disposition of the soul. It must possess you, as any passion would. Yes! Can you imagine being passionately humble? You must be. We must be. That is the path to love.

To be humble is to see ourselves as God sees us. He is the only Truth, and so humility means to see ourselves in truth. But once we see ourselves this way, that vision must be our only reality, our only truth. It cannot be that we are sometimes so sad and pathetic, or sometimes so weak or selfish, or sometimes so proud and vain, but other times not. No, we are always those things. And therefore, we are always in need of forgiveness, always in need of mercy, always in need of assistance and grace!

Does this mean we can do no good? Of course not! Quite the contrary! Just because we are so empty, we can be filled. So we can do great good, we can love with great love. But by this fundamental qualification - Only by the Lord. Only in His Spirit. Only because of grace. It is He who loves in us, through us.

Oh! There's a great song by Jeremy Camp called "Empty Me" that has the general idea down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl85EU33jgo

Moreover, what is charity? Oh! Don't we see how humility and charity and purity truly come hand in hand, as little ones running to us with open arms, waiting for us to embrace them and hold them close? It is so simple! If my heart is pure I will be looking to see with eyes of purity, with a vision of the Lord. I will see in another his hurt or her sorrow, his need or her emptiness, his joy or her excitement, and I will share these things. I will bear them within me, take them within me. I will do what Christ did, and assume the suffering and joy of each of my brothers and sisters. I will be focused on those things, and on aiding them, serving them. I will not be worried about their appearances or social skills or statuses, etc... How could I be so blind? How could I fail to understand the other? Purity helps me to see, and humility helps me to take them into myself. Charity is the seal, the bond over life that binds me with my brothers and sisters and reveals our common hope.

If I want to love, I will learn more of humility. I will pray for the grace to be truly humble. Every time I begin to be shallow, judgmental, hard hearted, or even hateful, I will begin to pray to be changed. Transformation is never easy, and building habits takes time, and assuming virtues can take a lifetime - but we must! What kind of life will we have lived, if at the end we cannot say that we've learned what true love is? What kind of reality do we think we exist in? It is a reality where Love pervades all things! It is a reality where Love is our glue, our fiber, our reason. Will we stand outside of that reality and mock it? Or refuse it entry into our lives? May it not be so!

Oh Lord, make our hearts like unto thine. Sweet Mother, defend us from all evil.

No comments: