All original written and photographic material on this site is the property of the author, and is not to be used without permission.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pray. And then, pray some more.

It seems appropriate to follow up a semi-philosophical post (which needs further embellishment) with a semi-practical post.

Prayer.

Did you know the Catechism of the Catholic Church has four main sections, four "pillars"?
The first is the Creed, going through the main principles of the faith. Second is the Sacraments, teaching more fully about a life in the Church and in Christ, especially through the liturgy and the Eucharist. Third is "Life in Christ," a section on morality and the commandments, giving us guidelines on how to live in love of God and neighbor. And fourth is rather simple, Prayer. Some of the most beautiful passages of the Catechism (I believe) are in this section.

For example, CCC 2743 "It is always possible to pray: The time of the Christian is that of the risen Christ who is with us always, no matter what tempests may arise.36 Our time is in the hands of God: It is possible to offer fervent prayer even while walking in public or strolling alone, or seated in your shop, . . . while buying or selling, . . . or even while cooking.37"

St. John Chrysostom, one of the early Church Fathers, wrote that practical line of advice. It is possible to pray, always. It is necessary to pray always!

Let me share a few more beautiful points from the Catechism:
2739 For St. Paul, this trust is bold, founded on the prayer of the Spirit in us and on the faithful love of the Father who has given us his only Son. Transformation of the praying heart is the first response to our petition.
2740 The prayer of Jesus makes Christian prayer an efficacious petition. He is its model, he prays in us and with us. Since the heart of the Son seeks only what pleases the Father, how could the prayer of the children of adoption be centered on the gifts rather than the Giver?
2741 Jesus also prays for us - in our place and on our behalf. All our petitions were gathered up, once for all, in his cry on the Cross and, in his Resurrection, heard by the Father. This is why he never ceases to intercede for us with the Father. If our prayer is resolutely united with that of Jesus, in trust and boldness as children, we obtain all that we ask in his name, even more than any particular thing: the Holy Spirit himself, who contains all gifts.

There is a small system revealed here in these passages. Paul's prayer is one of confidence, of boldness. His heart is enflamed with courage and when he prays, he prays in faith, knowing he will be heard. Paul's boldness stems from a deep awareness of the prayer of Jesus. The Son gave the example for all. His prayer with the Father was intimate, personal, private, deep, healing, full, open, trusting, completely in love. This is what we then should seek to imitate. Moreover, Paul sees that after Christ's Ascension to the Father, the gift of the Holy Spirit is poured out upon the Church at Pentacost, and we are all now made sons and daughters of God in a special and unique way with Christ. That being said, Paul understands that we should not only imitate Christ's prayer because he is our perfect model, but we should pray with him, in his Spirit, because we have been given the gift of adopted sonship.
 
The point Paul is making is one that should leave us in awe.
God, the Father and Creator, decided to invite us into a relationship with him. Not just any relationship. One of a Father to his children. In Scripture, Jesus says, "What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?" (Luke 11:11-13) This is really radical.
 
I was just reading over some of Genesis last night, and this is what I read: "When the LORD saw how great was man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anything but evil, he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved. So the LORD said: 'I will wipe out from the earth the men whom I have created, and not only the men, but also the beasts and the creeping things and the birds of the air, for I am sorry that I made them.'" (Gen. 6:5-7) Does that not stop you in your tracks? How bitter. How very sad.
 
Now go from this to Christ! That same Father and Creator whose heart was grieved by man's wickedness would come and allow his whole self to be broken by our wickedness, and in reparation for our wickedness. Rather than a flood to kill us all once more, there was a flood of mercy and grace to kill sin. Christ on the Cross is the victory that no flood would offer.
 
So when we are invited to prayer, to life in the Holy Spirit, to a life in and with Christ, it is a life of communion with God. This means true conversation. This means open hearts. This means willingness to hear the good and the bad.

Sometimes I think about my own father (whom I love dearly) and how as a child there were some times I had no desire to hear what he had to say. Being admonished is not the best feeling. I'd prefer to go on thinking I was a good kid. I didn't want to face the facts when I messed up, on accident or on purpose. No one likes the proverbial wrist slap. But if I wouldn't take my father's admonishments, how could I accept his praise? What would the words of affirmation and approval mean, if they were not tempered with caution and correction? The one who loves, gives the truth. And there is no doubt that I was not always in the right. In fact, too often I thought my "wisdom" would protect me, and it was only my father's strength is challenging me when I was lazy or selfish or mean that broke through my false defenses. My father gave me love, and that meant the truth. I needed to receive his love. I needed to be able to hear his praise and happiness just as much as his guidance.

This is the same disposition we should have in prayer. How many times have I gone before the Lord and wanted to hear his voice, and have some form of consolation. But there has been a line. "Tell me anything Lord.... but not that." "Let's stay away from the vocational things, or the relationships I'm in, or the sins I can't seem to shake.." Right. That's called fear. That's called doubting the loving nature of God.  God IS LOVE. How can I doubt that? How can I doubt that he will bring truth to me? If it's hard to hear, it's hard to hear. That's life. I'm imperfect and that needs to be worked on. But can I really fear him? Can I really think he would ever do anything but lead me to his mercy? That's just silly. He is all mercy. "For equal to his majesty is the mercy that he shows," Sirach 2:18.

So it is vital that we pray, and pray often, and pray always, and to pray with an open heart, without fear, within trust. As St. Paul goes bravely forward in his prayer in imitation of Christ, so we must have confidence in the love of our Father in heaven.

The more we are able to enter into routine of prayer, the easier it will be to transcend into a meditative and adoring state. Whether through praying slowly and deeply with Scripture, or the Rosary, or with theological writings of the saints, or the Catechism, etc... we need to come to places each day where we can encounter the Lord in honesty and humility. Where we can say, "here I am, this is what I have." Where we can ask, "what would you ask of me? What can I do for you?" And where we can find the peace and courage to say, "Let it be done unto me according to your word."

I highly recommend reading the book "Holy Daring: The Fearless Trust of St. Therese of Lisieux."


In this book, John Udris reveals much of the same wisdom and guidance found in St. Paul's teaching on prayer that is also St. Therese's guidance.

Beyond that, two other prayer sources are a must. The first is Total Consecration to Mary, by St. Louis Marie DeMontfort. I cannot express the mercy that is contained in this practice of prayer. The preparation for consecration is 33 days of meditations and prayers concerning our own conversion and the mysteries of the life of Mary and Jesus. It is a process that you can renew every year (or more than once a year). It shares in that deep confidence of faith, knowing that you are totally giving yourself over to Christ's mother for her protection and intercession. Did he not do the same? The King of the universe chose her to be born from! He gave himself over to her, and the consecration to Mary is meant to honor him and draw us closer to him through her prayers and example.
The second is the Liturgy of the Hours, or the shorter version, Christian Prayer. It takes a little getting-used to as far as the format of the Hours goes, but this form of prayer is prayed around the world by Catholic priests and religious every day, and by many of the lay faithful who also participate. The prayers are beautiful, combining the Psalms, the New Testement, prayer petitions and simple prayers to lead us into a sense of deep gratitude for the love and goodness of God.

I encourage us all to take time for prayer! Make time for quiet, for stillness. Take time to know the one you love. Take time to know the one who loves you. Have you ever sat with the Lord as asked him, "Why do you love me?" Sounds a little unnerving, huh? Try it. Be with him, all the time, every day. Let him sit with you, calm you down, hold your hand, walk in stride with you. Talk to him. Pray without fear.

No comments: